Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Touring Seoul and Sangmo Progress

March 29th, 2011
I woke up early and made breakfast while Karjam took Hengyi Shr and her mother for a little hike on Namsan (san means mountain). After breakfast we went first to 창덕궁 Changdeokgung. I was really happy that the timing would work perfectly to also see the Secret Garden (Biwon/비원) but they didn't think it was perfect since the tour would be in Japanese (yes, it's true, I don't listen to tour guides because I have rarely met one who knows beans). At any rate we did walk around Changdeok Palace, which is gorgeous, and I took some photos of them (they brought a camera but it is no longer working and to me the idea of a vacation with no photos is abhorrent).



We were chilly so we went to a traditional tea shop, then bought some presents for Hengyi's mom's friends before heading for lunch at a fancy "modernized temple food" restaurant I'd found favorably reviewed in the newspaper. The food was so-so. In fact, I was a little embarrassed because Hengyi Shr is only allowed to eat once a day (her Buddhist order's rule) and that's lunch and she –really- likes to eat a lot. I gave her part of my lotus rice and her mom gave her almost all of hers and I still felt that she might not have been satisfied.  

After lunch we went to the National Museum of Korea, they toured the whole Buddhist painting and sculpture section and Hengyi Shr looked through Goryeo and Joseon historical sections but her mom was really exhausted. I bought mom a canvas bag with awesome Korean calligraphy at the gift shop. The National Museum of Korea has one of the best (and most reasonably priced) gift shops in the entire world. Then I took them home and rushed to 상모sangmo class.

Class today was 림한호근 and 현석. Nothing out of the ordinary happened although 이종휘 Yi Jonghui's girlfriend, 주리 Juri, was there for the second time in two weeks. Guess they're getting along really well. Here is a video that Jonghui took on his phone. This video is to show me how I'm doing.



Crossed arms: to keep my upper body from rotating when I rotate my head from side to side.
Error: if you look closely you can see that sometimes my speed wavers, I take a spin too fast.
This move is actually not that difficult, but the constant turning from side to side means I had no idea what I looked like while doing it. 

No comments: