Thursday, December 30, 2010

Bongcheong Noli Madang Final Presentation

December 28th, 2010

Usually Tuesdays I'm at 상모 sangmo class, but I realized that no matter how much I really enjoy sangmo (I do, it's frustrating but I love it), I had to go to the final presentation at 봉천놀이마당 Bongcheon Noli Madang where we would dance for the members of the group and our various "seniors." It was an irreplaceable opportunity both in terms of me being able to wrap up any future subsections of chapters on clubs and because I put in my two weeks and that's how it's supposed to end. Then happily 이종휘 Yi Jonghui called to say he needed to reschedule class… so I didn't have to give up sangmo!

During the day I went to get a new 민복 minbok because mine is so practically see-through and I needed to wear minbok for the presentation—but my favorite store didn't have the one I wanted in my size (frustrating!) so I went home with nothing but a new pair of 미투리 mituri slippers.

I went to Bongcheon Noli Madang early because I had arranged to interview Jang Mi'i but it didn't happen, I think she was purposefully avoiding it. At any rate there were already so many people there it wouldn't have been a good interview. The presentation went well. First there was a solo presentation of 문둥북춤 Mundung Buk Chum by 미경 Migyeong, then 선우 Seonu danced 원양반 Won Yangban as a solo. We had to dance our part twice, first only us, then the second time with the "seniors" joining in. Between the two performances the 풍물 pungmul players presented their pungmul playing, which was very good. I did okay, but not as good as when we were rehearsing. Oh well. I did, along with the other new students who finished the course, receive a certificate and small present. Then we all sat around in a large circle and people ate things I don’t, and I ate a lot of green onion savory pancake because it was what I could eat, and drank grape juice and ate oranges. Several people had already left when I counted 18 people in the room.

Waiting for things to get under way, my co-student 재숙 Jaesuk



The Special Performances (of course more than half the observers became musicians)











My awesome teacher, Jang Mi'i:




Awards Ceremony - Jaesuk with the Director of Bongcheon Noli Madang

No party without a cake!



The party, with lots of singing, gets underway


Singing into a cup, or to a stick of imitation crab, drumming by hitting together soju bottles:



No comments: