Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Mostly Errands


Photo: Actually I took this photo before Karjam arrived of our kitchen but things haven't changed much there...

September 1st, 2010

Today was (I guess?) my rest day, except there was very little resting. We went to the store and finally found the key maker in his shop. At 11:30 we went out to meet Professor Kathy Foley (UCSC) who is preparing for a museum exhibition on Korean performance. I took her to 전통국악사 Jeontong guk’aksa (Traditional Korean Music Store) and she bought all four 풍물 pungmul instruments, a 상모 sangmo, a costume and hat for pungmul players and we also went around and talked to people in many other stores, ultimately with no luck in finding just what Kathy wanted, although all of it may help her in some way (such as where to go back to, or to have a loose idea of what things cost). Tomorrow I take her to 봉산탈춤 Bongsan Talchum to see class and pick up some of their stuff. After she left Karjam and I went to the big musical instrument market (from all over the world but mostly Western musical traditions) and then 인사동 Insadong where we got 한복 hanbok for both of us (modernized styles in both cases, not the big fluffy pseudo court style), then I was all shopped out and I sat and had coffee while Karjam looked around until we both went home. Met Kimberely (really the spelling) H for tea in the evening. Glad to have a neighbor who is also a friend.

No comments: