Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Gaejeonyeon Performance

April 30th, 2011
I had a performance with 개전연 (개인전수연합) Gaejeonyeon, my 임실필봉농악 Imshil Pilbong Nongak trained 풍물 pungmul group. The performance was in a sorry excuse for a park in 대학로 Daehangno (an area of Seoul). We met up at 11, changed, ate kimbap, etc. and then finally at 1 we started to play. I had told Karjam to come at 2 because we'd keep playing until 4, but he arrived at 2:30, about 10 minutes after it began to rain. Until the rain we'd been performing in the park proper, in various patterns with lots of room for the잡색 japsaek people to dance in the middle. I had thought of doing 상모 sangmo when we performed for all of 5 minutes, but I decided that with all the audience staring the white woman, I'd be more comfortable doing something I knew I could do well, and I dance well, so I was designated for the part of 화동 hwadong, a japsaek part that I think is pretty cool. After it began raining we performed under a roof that covered barely enough space for all of us (I never counted but approximately 40 performers) to get out of the rain. Our audience stood under umbrellas, mostly. 

No comments: