Monday, March 14, 2011

Hapkido Test, Songpa Sandae Noli and Angelique Kidjo Live!

March 12th, 2011
The test: went well, I think. I don't know the results yet. I was the only person testing for 4th degree (5th and above test in Seoul), there were 3 people for 3rd degree black belt, twenty-two for 2nd degree and something around fifteen for first degree black belt. Most people had a partner who was not testing as well, although a few people partnered each other on the same test. Several parents came and there were also the instructors and assistant instructors from the various studios who brought people to the test, in other words around 50 people were watching me. I was nervous as heck and my kicks were weak, but I did spectacularly well on falls (I jumped over blocks more than chest height!) and my self-defense moves were totally tight. I was not asked to spar, but neither was anyone else. I guess that has been taken off the standard testing menu.

I had lunch at the 관장님 instructor's house with his wife and kids (he was in Seoul) and then headed back to Seoul myself on the bus.

March 13th, 2011


I had 송파산대놀이 Songpa Sandae Noli in the morning. We practiced Act 3 under professor 이병옥 Yi Byeong-ok repeatedly after we did the basic motions. We did it with all the stage blocking and dance motions. It was amazing how much more detailed it became when you tried to actually do the full scene. I was 목중을 Mokjung Eul again. I am managing the dialogue fairly well. Afterwards 김영숙 Kim Yeongsuk and the three college girls who are also practicing on Sundays and I went for lunch. Pretty unimpressive food today.

I bought tickets to Angelique Kidjo weeks ago, before I knew Karjam wouldn't be around to go with me. So I had to find someone else, and my first few picks (people who would already know Angelique's music) were busy. So I asked 양은석 Yang Eunseok, a 풍물 pungmul friend who I find interesting and open-minded. Also he loves live music and we've seen several other shows together. The show was beyond amazing. Especially since Angelique invited the audience onto the stage and we went up and danced for thirty minutes on the stage, with Angelique coming right over and practically bumping hips with us, dancing one on one with me—it was so awesome.

No comments: