Saturday, March 19, 2011

In Fact I -Do- Have a Husband

March 17th, 2011
On Thursday I had a very social day of research. I went to meet 백은실 Baek Eunshil from 강령탈춤 Gangnyeong Talchum and interviewed her. Then I headed straight to the intangible culture training center and went to see the people from 북청사자놀음 Bukcheon Saja Noleum. They have rehearsal on Thursday starting at 6, so there was the tail end of a meeting and in addition a bunch of people just hanging around waiting for things to start up. I just hung out and we had a wide-ranging mostly arts-related conversation until it was time for them to go practice (they start at 6). I headed up one flight of stairs to 봉산탈춤 Bongsan Talchum where 현석 Hyeonseok had just signed up. He and I went to eat dinner (of course I bought it) and then I came back and got the entire roster of Bongsan Talchum's job area explained to me by 장용일 Jang Yongil which was really awesome.

Practice was pretty darn good, although Thursday is indeed smaller with no 연식 or 하연 among others.

March 18th, 2011
I went to meet 경진 Gyeongjin in the first Starbucks in Korea where we studied until around 1:30, then ate lunch. I met 현경 Hyeon-gyeong for dinner and met Hengyi Shr a Buddhist nun studying for her Ph.D. in Buddhist Studies at UCLA and her mother at the terminus of the airport railroad, brought them home and set them up for the night.

March 19th, 2011
송파산대놀이 Songpa Sandae Noli was cancelled because the teaching folks needed to be in a meeting at the same time. Instead I spent until 3 with 지수 Jisoo working in a coffee shop. When I got home I was disappointed Karjam wasn't there, but he showed up an hour later. We went to the Tibetan Film Festival and saw two films (and met two Tibetans who live in Korea).

No comments: