Saturday, April 2, 2011

A Songpa Sandae Noli Rehearsal Where I'm the Only Person Dancing

April 1st, 2011

Had 허창열 Heo Changyeol and 세정 Sejeong over for lunch. Between the two of them they could somewhat communicate in English with Karjam, and it was a pleasant visit. And my food came out really well.

I submitted the completed translation.

Karjam and I saw "Black Swan."

April 2nd, 2011

I went to 송파산대놀이 Songpa Sandae Noli class and for some really strange reason I was the only person there to dance. 함완식 Ham Wanshik was there to play 장구 janggu, 박주현 Bak Juhyeon (who went to middle school, high school and college one year behind Sejeong, Changyeol's girlfriend) was there to play 대금 daegeum and 윤지희 Yun Jihee was there to play 해금 haegeum. In addition 안병인 Ahn Byeong-in was there as the dance instructor of the day. Needless to say I felt self conscious as the only person to dance with all these others, but it got worse because Ahn was apparently tired out from rehearsal on Friday night, so he wanted me to dance all by myself and prove that I knew all the motions correctly. This was very intimidating because we don't have a memorized set of motions, and each person who leads dance practice does it differently. Plus I have never had to do any motion on my own, I'm always following along (I'm an excellent motion-mimic in general). After a bit of a false start I got going all right, until I had to do 겨울보기 one of the motions with sort of tricky and specific timing. I practiced just that motion for quite a long time until Ahn was convinced, did a couple more, then reviewed all of them. Ahn left and Ham and I practiced the dialogue for Act 3 and Act 4, which was nice of him. Obviously –he- doesn't need to practice.

No comments: